Syracuse University’s benefit program offers flexibility and choice to meet the diverse needs of our employees. Unless you experience a qualifying life event in 2021, Open Enrollment is your one opportunity to review your current benefits, consider all of your options and decide which benefits you want to elect for the coming year. If you want to make changes to your benefits for 2021, be sure to complete your enrollment online via MySlice Nov. 2-13.
- Affordable contributions. Vision rates will decrease and there will be no rate increases for dental or life insurance.
- Enrollment changes allowed for dental and vision coverage. A new two-year commitment cycle for the University’s dental and vision plans will start Jan. 1, 2021. Dental and vision benefits will continue to be administered by Delta Dental and VSP Vision.
- Increase your life insurance. Be sure to complete MetLife’s Statement of Health and send it directly to the vendor for potential approval if you choose to increase your coverage.
- Action required for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) enrollment. Your current Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) contribution will not continue into 2021 unless you take action during Open Enrollment. The annual maximum household contribution for a Dependent Care FSA is $5,000 to pay for child care and adult dependent expenses.
- Enhanced caregiving resources. The University provides a variety of support to assist with child and dependent care needs. You now have access to a free premium membership to the caregiving website Care.com.
- Set yourself up for financial success. Open Enrollment is the perfect time to check your retirement contributions to make sure your savings are aligned with your future goals. Log in to review your TIAA account balance online and increase your voluntary contributions through MySlice. Check out the Financial Wellness hub for resources to help you plan for a financially secure future.
- Add or change your dependent(s). Review the Benefits Eligibility Policy for more information about eligible dependents under the University’s benefit program. Remember, when you add a spouse, partner or child to your coverage, you must provide supporting documentation to HR Shared Services to confirm their eligibility.
Take action now! Review the information within this website for everything you need to know about 2021 benefits. When you’re ready to enroll, log in to MySlice, make your elections and click FINISH to submit.
HR Shared Services is available at 315.443.4042 or firstname.lastname@example.org to answer your personal questions. Virtual appointments are available as well. In addition, please contact HR Shared Services with any questions or requests for accommodations.
If you expect to have dependent care expenses next year, setting aside money in an FSA is a great way to save on taxes.
|Dependent Care FSA|
|What can you use it for?||Day care expenses for a child under age 13, or an adult dependent, so you (and your spouse/partner) can work|
|How much can you contribute?||$5,000 per household|
|What if you don't claim the full amount?||IRS rules require that you will lose any amount not claimed by April 30 of the following year|
Be sure you read and understand which expenses are eligible, when you can access the funds and how to file claims by the deadline. Details, online calculators and tips can be found on the HealthEquity/WageWorks website or on the Flexible Spending Account page.
Whether you’re just beginning your career or planning for retirement, Syracuse University provides assistance with meeting the financial demands of many of life’s most significant events. You can find resources to help plan for a financially secure future on the Financial Wellness website.
Although you can change your retirement plan contributions at any time, Open Enrollment is a perfect time to evaluate what you’re setting aside for retirement and ensure you’re on track to meet your future goals. You can log in and review your retirement account balance online with TIAA and increase your voluntary contributions through MySlice.
- Dental and Vision: This is the year to make changes to your dental and vision coverage—a two-year commitment, unless you have a qualifying life event. The choices you make during this Open Enrollment will remain in effect through the end of 2022. If you do not take action by the Nov. 13 deadline, your current elections will remain in effect through Dec. 31, 2022. Check out our online resources to ensure you’re using your dental and vision benefits to the fullest.
- Life Insurance and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D): Syracuse University provides you with life insurance and AD&D offered through MetLife, with options to purchase supplemental coverage for yourself and your family members at favorable group rates. A Statement of Health must be approved by MetLife before certain coverage is effective. Enroll or increase your supplemental life coverage to protect your family, and gain a valuable additional benefit: free will preparation [PDF].
Life circumstances can change from year to year, and Open Enrollment is a time to review who is covered under your benefits and add or remove dependents, if necessary. A few reminders:
- If you add a dependent to any benefit plan, you must provide proof of eligibility (i.e., marriage license, domestic partner documentation, birth or adoption certificate, legal custody paperwork, etc.).
- Beneficiary designations can be updated through MySlice (for your life insurance policy) or via the TIAA website (for your retirement account).
- While you’re in MySlice, review your personal information, such as your address, military status, tax withholding information, direct deposit and emergency contact, and make any changes.
Once you are ready to enroll, follow these simple steps to make your selections for 2021.
- Log in to MySlice. From Nov. 2-13, click on the Open Enrollment icon within MySlice to begin the enrollment process. If you do not know your NetID or password, visit Self Serv or call 315.443.2677.
- Select Your 2021 Benefits. Be sure to maximize your benefits! Don’t forget you can add/change/drop your plan options and dependents, elect an FSA, update your beneficiaries and more.
- Click Finish. Be sure to update your selections by clicking FINISH to replace your prior choices. You can update your benefits as often as you like before the deadline of Nov. 13.
- Review Your Confirmation Statement. Review the email sent to your syr.edu email account. This will confirm your 2021 plan choices and pre/post tax costs.
Every effort has been made to ensure the information within this website is accurate. However, benefits are governed by legal documents (which, in certain circumstances, may include insurance contracts). If there is any difference between the information within this website and the official documents, the official documents will control. As is the case with all of Syracuse University’s benefit plans, the University reserves the right to modify or terminate these benefits at any time.